Saturday, February 16, 2013

It's Been a Great Scouting Week!

For Webelos we had a pretend campout, complete with the boys packing up their packs and bringing them to our house, a campfire, and tin foil dinners.  A few were disappointed a couple weeks ago when they found out they wouldn't really be camping out, and a few more were disappointed at the activity when they learned that (guess they weren't listening when we talked about it before).  Adam was a great help getting the coals and fire going, and keeping an eye on all the food.  We had the tin foil dinner fixings all ready for the boys to put their own together with whatever they wanted.  While they were eating I got a lot of, "This is the BEST food EVER!"  One of them told me thanks for cooking it.  "I don't cook it.  You did."  "No really, thanks for cooking our dinner."  "I didn't cook it.  You did!"  He thought for a few seconds.  "Hey yah, I did!  Thanks for cooking such a good dinner self!"

The boys are working on the Genealogy Varsity pin at scouts right now, but this week they talked about the 50 miler coming up this summer.

Friday evening I received the Silver Beaver award.  Crazy, but true.  I got a letter the end of December informing me about it, and I was incredibly surprised.  I tracked Jamie down and asked him if he knew anything about it.  Turns out a friend of mine, Debbie, in our district contacted Adam and had him forward her message to Jamie.  Between Debbie, Jamie, and Jeanette (a lady in our district who also works at the scout office), Debbie got the info she wanted to fill out the form.  I assumed I had to be a lot more "silver" than I am, but apparently not.  The whole evening was extra fun because I had a lot of scouting friends also receiving it.  Before Jamie and I had to sit in our assigned seats I instructed the kids that they were supposed to start an "Our mom's the coolest!" or some such chant when we were on stage, but they didn't.  My dad youtubed it - so check out the big moment if you'd like.

Today Adam had a Bartlett camp staff meeting, and when I picked him up he informed me that he was voted to be the Venture Crew President for the staff.  Ultra cool!

Today I also got to try google hangout with a friend who earned his Eagle but is now living in Hungary.  His family had an online Court of Honor for him - great idea!  Fun to get to congratulate him almost in person.  He even skyped his Board of Review.

Next weekend Adam, Sammy, and I have our first NYLT staff meeting, and last weekend Jamie has his first Wood Badge meeting for the course he's on.  We'll have NYLT one week and Wood Badge/family camp the very next week this year.  Two straight weeks in the woods - awesome!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the Hall Family is going to have another very busy summer!!

    ReplyDelete