Sunday, December 30, 2012

Simple Mommy's Daybook

I've used this format a couple times on my other blog. A nice way to share some thoughts without having a major anything in mind when beginning.

Today, December 30, 2012

I am thinking . . . about my new calling as a Relief Society teacher, released from the nursery today (still in Webelos and scout committee chair).  When I asked what week I teach I was told that they rotate, so I'm looking forward to seeing the schedule so I can start reading up.  The conference talks are always great to discuss, and I read up on Lorenzo Snow when I first got the call and it would be exciting to share his words too.  I'll miss those littles in nursery, though, and I'm wondering how Madeleine will do with me not there.  She did great before, but now she's used to me being there.

I am hoping . . . Adam works into his new calling well, on the stake youth dance committee.  A pretty ironic calling for someone that has no desire to go to them.  He's only been to one, when a bunch of his homeschool friends were going to one in a different stake.  Adam has also been officially hired again to work at Camp Bartlett this summer.  No need to ease into that one.

In the kitchen . . . Melanie has been cooking up a storm.  She got a cookbook for Christmas, and she's already tried out several recipes.  Today she made some almond poppyseed bread - yum!  Fun to see her working on that talent.  I love that she's only 11 and I can send her to the kitchen to make us something for dinner.  I know I couldn't do that when I was her age.

I am reading . . . mainly the scriptures lately, trying to keep up with the part of the scripture challenge that I committed with myself to do.  After a long wait at the temple yesterday, I'm caught up again with where I'm supposed to be.  I'm also working on "In His Steps," a perfect read for December.  At the library the other day I picked up a few final Christmas picture books that finally got to us on the holds list.  We already read a  bunch, and found some new favorites this year.

I am looking forward to . . . I know the snow just arrived, but it would be nice if we could have a snow break so Erin could enjoy the bike she got for Christmas.  She took it for its first spin today and ended up slipping on some ice.  Hard to compare needing the moisture with your sweet little girl dying to ride her bike!

Around the house . . . the Christmas tree came down two days after Christmas.  The front room was pretty cramped, so it's nice to enjoy that extra space again.  We seem to have a lot more yarn hanging around the house since Christmas.  The three older girls wanted yarn and yarn and yarn to practice their new crocheting talents.  It ended up being whole family fun getting their skeins rolled into balls, so they'll run into fewer knots while they are in the middle of some project.

Carolyn (or half of her), Marni, and Adam rolling up yarn

I am creating . . . some fun crochet bags for the girls (not made with crochet, made with fabric, for their crochet stuff).  I made one for a friend, then Melanie and Carolyn both wanted their own.  Melanie wanted to give one to Carolyn for Christmas so she picked all the fabric, then I surprised her with one of her own.  I still need to finish them before they are ready to use, but very, very cute, even if I do say so myself.

Fun from last week . . . Friday evening we went to Zoo Lights and then to Temple Square.  The lights at the zoo were a lot of fun, but it was cool seeing the zoo at night and discovering who was awake and who wasn't.  True to pretty much every other zoo trip, we got to see something new - a snake shedding its skin.  It only took a few minutes, so it was perfect timing to catch it.  It was cooooolllld!  Thankfully the zoo had heaters here and there to stop and warm up at, and we warmed up with chocolate milk between the zoo and temple square.

"Oh great heater!  Give us your warmth!"

Warming up by dragon fire

The snake post shedding.

For a little adventure . . . a new Panda Express opened up in our area, and they had their grand opening yesterday, giving away free food all day.  The three oldest and I headed over and got in line just before 9pm., and left with our food at about 9:45.  Fun hanging out with my bigs.


Adam does his best to avoid pictures lately.  Had to be sneaky to get him.

A few plans for the rest of the week . . . besides celebrating the new year tomorrow evening, I really need to look at what's happening when for January and get my calendar updated.

A favorite quote for the today . . . "Little did I know that in the days and years ahead on this campus, I would make decisions that would define the rest of my life" (Rosemary Wixom, "Coming to Know").  To explain, Jamie was listening to this talk yesterday in his car, then I took his car for a bit and finished the talk, then started it over at the beginning and didn't quite get to where I had started.  Shortly after I started listening she said something that got me thinking about some of my personal sacred places, then when I started it from the beginning I realized that that was a big part of what her talk was about.  It's wonderful to think about places that stand out as especially important in my life.  One specific was my family moving to Twin Falls when I was in high school.  The quote above continues with the following, and I feel exactly the same about my time there.  "It was here that I discovered I had my own beliefs, and I was faced with defending my faith.  I made lifelong friends.  My prayers became more sincere.  My testimony began to grow.  I learned it was a personal choice to stand up for my standards and stretch myself academically and spiritually."  A good talk.  You should read/listen to it.



No comments:

Post a Comment