Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day 2013

Friday evening and Saturday most of the day I got to hang out with a bunch of great young men for an NYLT staff development meeting with Adam and Sammy.  Before I left Jamie asked about Mother's Day dinner, and I told him he and Melanie could figure out whatever they want to make.  On the way home, I got a text from Jamie saying that Mother's Day dinner would be Saturday evening instead - great idea!  Sundays are busy at our house, plus we want to go see our moms.

When I walked in the house there were flowers on the table - one bouquet of brightly colored daisies picked out by Erin and another of yellow roses picked out by Madeleine.  Dinner was delicious!  Steak with sauteed mushrooms and onions, potatoes, rolls, and pie and ice cream for dessert.  I was ultra tired (besides the long day, I didn't sleep well camping because I was cold!), so I headed to bed by 9:30pm.  That never happens, mainly because I love that quiet time at night.

Madeleine woke me up at 6:30 this morning to go potty, then crawled in bed and cuddled with Jamie and I for a bit.  Sweet Mother's Day wake up.

Jamie and Melanie made french toast for breakfast (a favorite!) with orange juice and Abuelita to drink (yummy chocolate milk with cinnamon in it) and I helped clean up.  I learned several years ago that I am far more discontent if I'm expecting to be served than if I'm celebrating my ability to love and serve my family.

After that Melanie gave me some earrings she made in activity days Friday (I've been working and working to get the second one in - a mother's love knows no bounds!), a little notebook, and a nice letter.  Carolyn gave me a cupcake covered in treats that she made at activity days (the kids very nicely helped me eat it), Sammy gave me a minifigure, Erin and Madeleine gave me little cards they made, and Adam told me he put up my tent and helped take it down (which was wonderful).  A month or so ago Jamie got a stereo for the big van and told me happy Mother's Day, but I got another extra present . . . a new garage door.

Last week I had pulled into the driveway and stopped, leaned down to gather up things to take into the house, and felt a bump.  I looked up, and the garage was really really close.  Argh!  I sent Jamie a picture with a "don't hate me," and he called laughing (a gift all in itself, even though it really wasn't funny).  Happy Mother's Day, a new garage door.

Still, I got my favorite Mother's Day present from him - a card with a poem that he wrote.  I didn't even remember that it was coming this year, so it was a pleasant surprise!

Read this a few days ago - some beautiful Mother's Day perspective from the bread lady I wrote about a few months ago.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful day...thanks for sharing! Love Sammy's gift ;). Which mini-figure was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was the "trendsetter." I thought it would be the librarian. The little girls were immediately fighting over playing with it.

    ReplyDelete