Friday, January 4, 2013

Llllllllle-low!

Three of my four girls have been early great talkers (one was far more physical to worry about talking - can you guess who?).  Madeleine is one if those great talkers, but there is one word she cannot get out.  We've been trying to help her learn it, thought I think at first she would say it wrong on purpose because the other kids would bug her trying to work on it.

I try to be more subtle in my methods.

I just had her on my lap and pointed out several colors asking her to name them.  She listed them off just fine till I got to something yellow.  She quickly said, "Lellow," but even before I could say anything she turned and looked at me for a moment then tried harder (and louder), "Llllllllllelow!"  I chuckled and continued pointing out other colors, then back to yellow. "Lellow."  She looked over at me for a moment again, then even harder and louder, "LLLLLLLLLElow!"

So I tried another method.

"Say yak."
"Yak."
"Say yes."
"Yes."
"Say yell."
"Yell."
"Say yellow."
"Lellow."

I tried again.


"Say yak."
"Yak."
"Say yes."
"Yes."
"Say yell."
"Yell."
"Say yellow."
". . . I'm busy mom."

Nice.



1 comment:

  1. Tova did the same thing. With her it was "c" instead of "t"...the most prominent being "tookie" instead of "cookie". We did the same thing that you did, and she showed the same enthusiasm :).

    And just look! Now she says "cookie" just fine :). I guess it pays off!

    ReplyDelete